Sunday, January 30, 2011

Have you ever heard a seal bark?

I have...and my son is a good imitator.  Unfortunatly, not in a good way! 

Approximatly 11 o'clock on a Saturday night we heard what can only be described as a seal barking...but it was coming from the baby monitor.  I listened in shock, wondering what it could be.  I wasnt sure if Cade was vomiting or if he was just uncontrollably crying.  Somehow panic mothers instinct kicked in real fast and I sprinted into his room.  I found him struggling to breath, to the point that I had no idea what to do.  I quickly pulled out the nebulizer and the medicine that I had left from his two RSV stints.  I began the breathing treament as I called the Dr.  The nurse on the line, while being very helpful, was making me even more nervous.  She could hear his breathing, and she just kept repeating "if you dont get it under control in 10 minutes you have to take him to the emergency room".  A mothers worst nightmare.  I did not want to endure another 10 minutes of this...but I also didnt want to be the mom who rushes her kid to the hospital every time he sneezes.  I followed her instructions by continuing his breathing treatment in the bathroom with the shower on and the door shut.  By this time, for any of you that know me, know that I was panicking and about having an anxiety attack.  Finally the nurse gave us instructions to take Cade to the hospital as his breathing was just getting worse (because he couldnt calm down - who could blame him...he was scared and I was shoving a tube in his face with medicine coming out).  So we loaded him up in the car, all the while staring back at him - to make sure he was getting enough oxygen.  Luckiy for us though, the cold air from outside had made his breathing a little better and it was a little less scary.  Although he wouldnt smile and was definitly still not doing well.  We finally made the hour 10 minute drive the hospital (longest 10 minutes ever) and brought him inside.  The Dr. came in and immediatly diagnosed him with croup (the seal cough is a sure sign of this).  They gave him another breathing treatment - this time of epinephrine (adrenaline) - and some oral steroids.  Seriously within 10-15 minutes he was back to his old self, he asked us to turn on basketball (on TV) and he watched that smiling as we waited to be discharged.  We drove home, happy to have that behind us...but of course I couldnt sleep that night and I still get nervous that it will happen again.  It is so scary to have no control of a situation, especially when it relates to your child. 


Here is Cade waiting for the breathing treatment

The next morning Cade had two very puffy eyes

That later turned into two black eyes...poor guy
  

1 comment: